National Museum of American History - Smithsonian Institution

Title

National Museum of American History - Smithsonian Institution

Rights

Primarily objects from NMAH Textiles collection, Division of Cultural and Community (formerly Home and Community) Life.

Collection Items

Group of knitting samples and yarns for US Army and Navy during WWI; Given by Fleischer Yarn Co., Pennsylvania, to the US National Museum in 1918.
Photographs (record shots only, not for print publication) of items from group of yarn skeins in Navy grey and Army khaki; and samples of items to be knitted for the armed forces by civilians: balaclava style hat, scarf, mittens, etc.

Retsol blanket or lap rug; Geelong AU, 1920s-30s (NMAH/Textiles)
Blanket in grey plaid wool; The Geelong Returned Soldiers & Sailors Woollen Mills. RETSOL RUGS label with sunrise logo and ram with 'Pure Wool' inscription

Worumbo Co. letter to US National Museum re donation and war work Aug 1917 (NMAH/Textiles)
Letter from Worumbo woolen Co to US National Museum curator F.L. Lewton, August 1917.

Sample of German made spun paper yarn fine open weave textile, WWI (NMAH/Textiles)
Photograph of fine, open weave cloth made in Germany of spun paper yarns during or just after WWI

German military equipment, WWI, made from spun paper yarns (NMAH/Work & Industry)
Photograph in storage of selection of German made spun paper yarn military equipment, acquired as salvage after WWI by the US Army and later donated to the US National Museum

Array of samples of US Navy woolen textiles, WWII (NMAH/Textiles)
Photograph of swatches of women textiles used by the US Navy in WWII

Array of samples of US Army woolen textiles, WWII (NMAH/Textiles)
Photograph of US Army woolen textile swatches from WWII

Sorting wool; American Woolen Co., Massachusetts, 1912 (NMAH/Textiles)
Photograph of men at tables sorting wool, open bale of wool marked Australia in foreground

German spun paper yarns and Mats, 1907
Image of samples from NMAH Consular collection of spun paper yarns and textiles collected in Plauen, Germany in 1907
View all 9 items

Social Bookmarking